Why Litter-less Lunches?
It reduces packaging waste. It’s cheaper. It’s healthier.
There are many reasons why litter-less lunches are a good thing. Besides the environmentally-friendly component, a proper litter-less lunch plan is healthier as it cuts out pre-packaged food and can save you money in the long run. It also teaches children to be conscious about the waste they create and the food they put into their bodies. To help us in our efforts, we encourage parents to pack litter-less lunches in an effort to reduce the waste from convenience store food packaging that arrives at our classrooms and ends up in landfills. The children in our programs will learn to be better stewards of our environment, a conscience that will hopefully stay with them for the rest of their lives.
It has been estimated that on average a school-age child using a disposable (lunch) generates 67 pounds of (waste) per school year. That equates to 18,760 pounds of (lunch waste) for just one average-size elementary school. Learn more at wastefreelunches.org
- Lunchtime trash is second only to office paper as the leading source of school waste according to Green Teacher Magazine. Learn more
- Food debris in a landfill decomposes only 25% in the first 15 years. Try composting instead? Learn more
- Each Canadian throws away approximately ½ kilogram of packaging daily. In fact, ½ of most city's solid waste by volume and 1/3 of our waste by weight is made up of packaging. Learn more
Tips for Litter-less Lunches
TOOLS FOR PACKING A WASTE-FREE LUNCH:
- REUSABLE insulated lunch carrier with cold pack – BE SAFE!
- REUSABLE containers – non plastic containers like stainless steel are better
- REUSABLE drink bottle or thermos
- CLOTH NAPKIN to wash and re-use
- SILVERWARE to wash and re-use
WE SAY 'NO THANK YOU' TO…
- paper or plastic bags
- plastic wrap, foil, wax or Styrofoam
- single-use cans or juice boxes
- paper napkins
- plastic forks/spoons
- overly packaged/processed snacks